When you retain us to assist you with your real estate sale, our lawyers, Marc or Jade, will manage the transaction from A to Z, interact with you directly, answer your questions throughout the process, meet with you to sign documents, and handle all interactions with the buyer’s lawyer.
Steps in the selling process
1. List your property and receive offers.
If you are working with a real estate agent, he or she will assist you with listing your property and fielding offers from potential buyers.
If you are selling without a real estate agent (i.e. through Purplebricks or another private sale platform), reach out to us so we can assist you with reviewing your offers. Typical turnaround time for offer reviews is 24 business hours.
If you have questions about an offer or a potential buyer’s conditions, contact us BEFORE you accept the offer.
2. Accept the right offer and wait for the buyer to waive or fulfill the conditions set out in the offer.
3. Once the buyer has waived or fulfilled all of his or her conditions and the Agreement of Purchase and Sale is firm, provide us (or have your agent provide us) with the final Agreement of Purchase and Sale and any amendments by email.
4. In order for us to open a file for you, please complete the FORM with all of the relevant information for your sale (the contents of the form are confidential and are only accessible by us). Once we receive your submitted form and agreement, we will open a file for you.
5. At least three (3) weeks before your closing date, finalize your moving details and cancel your utilities and insurance, effective on the closing date. Due to privacy legislation, when your deal closes, we only advise the local municipality (and your condo corporation, if applicable) of your sale.
6. One (1) week (or at least three (3) business days) before closing, we will set-up an appointment to sign the closing documents. It is often simpler to sign in person, but a virtual meeting may be possible.
7. On the closing date, we work with the buyer’s lawyer to close your transaction. Your transaction may close any time before 5:00pm on the closing date, depending on when we receive funds and signed documents from the buyer. By the next business day after your transaction closes, we will deposit your sale proceeds into your bank account by wire transfer and pay out any mortgage or line of credit registered against the property.
8. Within a month of closing, you will receive a reporting letter summarizing your transaction and copies of all closing documents by the method of your choice (email or regular mail).